Microwaves, as we so often forget, are dangerous appliances. Even when unplugged they can hold a lethal charge in the capacitors. Because the appliance needs to amplify power in order to function, it does come equipped with quite a few safety features. One such feature is a fuse. Your microwave may have different fuses, but they serve the same purpose.
Your microwave will have a thermal fuse that cuts electricity if voltage is exceeded. It may also have a main fuse that cuts the power if too much current passes through it. Both styles of fuses serve to prevent dangerous microwave malfunctions, and both are sacrificial components. This means once they trip, they need replaced.
Unfortunately, fuses can be located all over the microwave depending on the model. In most, they are located either behind the vent grill or the control panel.
Be sure to discharge the capacitor and disconnect power to the microwave before attempting any repair.
In most cases, you will need to remove the screws to take off the exterior case as well as mounting screws on the control panel. Removing it will give you access to the fuses.
Once you have access to the fuses, you will need to remove the attached wires. You will also want to be sure that you have the appropriate replacement for your model of microwave as well.
As the fuse cuts electricity once tripped, if your microwave runs when you reassemble it, then you have fixed the issue.
As we mentioned, microwaves are dangerous appliances, and we highly recommend that you leave any repair to the professionals. If you are having microwave problems or any other appliance problems, contact us today to see what Central Valley Appliance Repair can do to help.