The baffles attached to the inside of your dryer drum aren’t just for show, they actually play a role in drying your clothes. As the dryer drum rotates, the baffles fluff your clothing. Although a loose baffle isn’t a major malfunction, it can cause a few irritating issues, such as a loud rattling noise or snags in your clothing. A baffle usually becomes partially detached due to stripped screw holes. If this is the case for one or more of your dryer baffles, they’ll need to be replaced.
Appliance Repair Safety Protocols
- Every repair should start with you unplugging your appliance from the wall or turning it off at your home’s circuit breaker. If you’re fixing a gas dryer, always turn off the gas supply valve before replacing a faulty part.
- While repairing your dryer, protect your eyes and hands by wearing safety glasses and work gloves.
- If you run into any issues during your repair, please stop what you are doing and contact an appliance repair specialist.
- These are generalized steps and this repair can vary by model and brand.
How to Replace a Baffle in Your Dryer Drum
- On the top of your dryer, lift up the lint screen cover to access the two screws located underneath it. Then, unthread the screws.
- Slide a putty knife in-between the dryer’s top panel and front panel to disengage the locking tabs located near the right and left corners of the two panels. Once the tabs are disengaged, lift the top panel up and rest it on the wall behind your appliance.
- Reach inside your dryer and turn the drum until the damaged baffle is at the top.
- On the outside of the drum, unthread the baffle screws. Then, pull the baffle down and out of the dryer.
- Install the new drum baffle by aligning the screw holes in the baffle with the screw holes in the drum, and then secure the baffle by reattaching its screws.
- With the new baffle installed, you can close the dryer’s top panel. To lock the top panel in place simply push down on it. Next, rethread the screws found under the lint screen cover.
- Finish up your repair by plugging in your appliance.
If your dryer is malfunctioning and your not sure what component is causing the issue, please contact us today, and we’ll be happy to help you.